Customers in Australia and New Zealand will be able to access some of the biggest and best full-size trucks – beginning with the Chevrolet Silverado – through the newly established General Motors Specialty Vehicles (GMSV) network.
The Silverado 1500, remanufactured to right-hand-drive by Walkinshaw Automotive Group, is the first entry in the GMSV portfolio, with the Silverado 2500 and the C8 Corvette to follow in late 2021. Customers can use the new ‘Find a Dealer’ tool on www.gmspecialtyvehicles.com to find their nearest GMSV dealer.
North American full-size trucks are redefining the Ute market in Australia and New
Zealand, and GMSV will offer some of America’s most successful and highest selling
vehicles in the segment, said Joanne Stogiannis, Director of GMSV.
“We have launched with over fifty GM Specialty Vehicles dealers and look forward to adding more. Our GMSV dealers are now open for business in Australia and New Zealand. We can’t wait to see the first Silverados being driven out of our GMSV showrooms.
“We believe there is significant opportunity in Australia and New Zealand for our iconic North American vehicles to compete in niche segments,” said Ms. Stogiannis.
The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado is the epitome of the iconic all-American Chevrolet truck bloodline. Over 100 years of truck building know-how has been put into the Silverado, which sets the bar for towing and all-round capability. The ultimate towing machine, it comes with:
● Segment-leading power and torque with the 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 petrol engine, highly efficient 10-speed auto transmission with enhanced acceleration and torque delivery while towing, standard auto stop/start technology and Dynamic Fuel Management.
● Towing capacity of 4.5 tonnes with Tow/Haul mode, Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist and Auto Grade and Cruise Grade Braking.
● Purposeful technology such as “auto lighting test” – allowing drivers to conduct a trailer light test that uses an automatic exterior light sequence to help confirm that the trailer is properly connected. In the past, this was a two- person job – now a single individual can properly connect a trailer and check
● Advanced Towing Package with Hitch Guidance, Hitch View, Integrated Brake
Controller, Trailer Theft Alert and in-vehicle advanced trailering system.
● Suite of active safety features including Front and Rear Park Assist, Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Forward Collision Alert, Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking, Front Pedestrian
Braking, IntelliBeam automatic headlamp control, Following Distance Indicator and Safety Alert Seat.
● Chevrolet Silverado Durabed tray featuring industry first power up/down tailgate, cargo bed camera, LED cargo lighting, standard spray-in liner and 12 tie-downs.
● Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability.
● Spacious cabin that boasts best-in-class front head and leg room, with a roomy second row.
● Bold design and chrome accents.
Customers can also visit the new GMSV website https://www.gmspecialtyvehicles.com/ for more information on the Chevrolet Silverado and to register for updates on the C8 Corvette.
“We know that customers are eager to see what other products we will add to our portfolio. We will continue to identify opportunities to add to vehicles where we see
the chance to compete in niche segments in Australia and New Zealand,” said Stogiannis.
Matthew Taylor, General Manager of GM Specialty Vehicles New Zealand, said “I am really thrilled to be part of GMSV and look forward to introducing some new and exciting product into the local market.
“Kiwis are renowned adventurers and love getting off the beaten track into the great
outdoors, and the new Silverado 1500 will be the perfect vehicle to help enhance this
“In addition to its all-wheel drive go-anywhere capability, it’s also the ideal vehicle for people who want the ability to tow 4.5-tonnes as well as enjoy a wide range of creature-comforts.”